Have you ever been to a doctor with some health condition expecting to get better but ended up getting worse than before? Chances are that you have fallen victim to medical malpractice which can be defined as professional negligence and failure to meet the standard of care by the healthcare provider. Thousands of lives are lost and many suffer permanent injuries each year as a result of medical malpractice. In this article, we shall share 12 facts with you about medical malpractice that everybody should know.
- It is ranked third in terms of the cause of the most number of annual deaths in the US which ranges from 80,000 to 100,000. It is estimated that around 195,000 patients die each year in the US because of misdiagnosis.
- Most of the medical malpractice lawsuits (about 80%) end up without any payout. A total of $38.8 billion was paid out to a patient after winning a lawsuit case.
- About 15,000 to 18,000 lawsuit cases are filed each year in the US. A study reveals that more than half of all doctors will face a lawsuit before turning 50. 5/10 lawsuits are filed due to injuries to baby during delivery.
- Unintentional malpractice can be extremely stressful for some doctors. It can adversely affect their career and leads to depression.
- Two conditions are necessary to be fulfilled for malpractice to occur. The first is the healthcare provider must violate the standard of care set by the medical community and secondly the patient must sustain an injury as a result of the negligence.
- Because of the high cost of litigation, the patient must suffer a serious injury for maximum payout. Many patients do not file case despite suffering injuries from potential malpractice thinking of the cost while in reality, you don’t have to pay any upfront fee to file such a case. There are legal firms that cover all the litigation costs but demand share from the payout.
- Medical malpractice cases can be very long and may last for four years. The losing party may also appeal the verdict causing prolongation.
- Some malpractice cases such as the ones filed for injuries during a surgery can be very complicated and impossible for Jury to judge. Help is taken from medical experts in such situations who usually charge around $1000/hour. Both plaintiff and the defendant have to hire experts for testimony.
- Most of the cases (about 90%) are settled outside the court before the trial. Sometimes a simple apology by the healthcare provider does the trick.
- Sexual misconduct by the attending physician also falls within the category of medical malpractice. However, it can be extremely difficult for the plaintiff to prove because of the absence of substantial injuries.
- The majority of the malpractice cases are due to misdiagnosis which accounts for 33% of total malpractice allegations followed by surgery at 23%.
- The highest payout in a single year was in 2003 which stood at $5.7 billion.
These are some of the important facts about medical malpractice. If you have any such issue, you can get help from Baizer Kolar P.C.
Medical malpractice refers to negligence or slackness by a health care expert to follow the standard procedure causing death or any injury to the patient. In the mainstream of cases, the negligence or the medical malpractice involve a medical error in diagnosis, health management, medication dosage, or aftercare in treatment.
The medical malpractice law provides way for the patients to recover from any injury or harms that are the results from a low standard cure done by the doctors. The law and principles for medical malpractice fluctuate vaguely from country to country. If any harm or injury is caused during the procedure, doctor or health care center can be held responsible. Medical malpractice is very common in the USA as the diagnosis errors cause up to 16,000 deaths to 18,000 deaths per year in the USA. There are some of the problems that are very common in USA hospitals such as;
- The patient is given the wrong dosage.
- The wrong medication is given to the patient.
- Things left in body after surgery.
- Wrong part of the body is operated.
A lot more errors are included but we have mentioned some of the errors above. Medical malpractice is basically a huge problem in the US which results in Injury and many of the deaths every year. Here I present some facts about medical malpractice.
- The ratio of medical errors is about 98 thousand per year which results in a lot of deaths. Doctors of US face a lot of serious problems as many deaths are caused by the medical errors.
- Because of preventing errors in hospitals, every year 195 thousand patients die.
- In USA, there are 15 thousand to 18 thousand lawsuits approximately.
- If any injury is caused by the doctor or health care center, you have to prove their mistake.
- Malpractice insurance is cheaper than the cost of medical errors.
- The quantity used up on therapeutic costs has amplified but the quantity used up on medical malpractice indemnity has not kept swiftness.
- A devastating preponderance of medical malpractice claims are in rejoinder to irrevocable or permanent deaths.
- The premium rates for medical malpractice assurance do not track fatalities remunerated in injury or in a medical checkup.
- Damage caps will lesser insurance rates and the medical carelessness can happen during the diagnosis and the medical treatment.
- Medical carelessness is the third leading cause of death or injury in the United States of America.
Before medical malpractice, we suggest you take the best advice from the one who knows about it. If you live in Chicago you can take help from Baizer Kolar P.C. – Chicago as they have proven record of winning medical malpractice cases.