Acrylic paints are a relatively new medium for creating artwork – acrylic paints were only invented in the 1950s and were first used only to paint houses! Nowadays there are thousands of artists all over the world who use acrylic paints to create beautiful masterpieces. The most important thing you will learn is that they are a very versatile medium.
- You can mix acrylic paints with water to produce watercolor-like paintings.
- You can add a retarder and a thickening gel to acrylic paints.to slow the drying time so you can produce something that looks like an oil painting.
- You can mix other items such as sand or rice to the acrylic paint to create mixed media paintings.
Not only are they versatile in how the finished product looks, but also in their availability and use:
- They come in a wide variety of colors and viscosities, from thin ink-like viscosity to thick cream-cheese like viscosity, to give you a wide range of painting styles.
- They dry much faster than oil paints.
- You clean your brushes and your hands with soap and water to remove acrylic paints when you finish painting, so there are no toxic solvents to deal with.
- They can be watered down to a consistency that can be poured or used for glazing.
Like everything in the world, unfortunately, acrylic paints also have their disadvantages which are mentioned below;
- Since they are so fast-drying, you have to work quickly or use a retarder to slow the drying process.
- You cannot remove acrylic paint once it has dried, so anything that gets paint on it (other than your painting), will always have the acrylic paint on it. So, ear old clothes and make sure to cover any flooring if you are working indoors.
- You must keep your brushes moist while you are working, or they will dry out and you will have to throw them away.
Top 3 Models of Renowned Brands
Here I suggest you to check out the top three editions of the most famous brands.
- Golden Heavy Body Acrylic Paint Classic Theory Color Mixing Set
- Crafts 4 All Acrylic Paint Set
- Liquitex Complete Classic Heavy Body Acrylic Paint Set
Having read these merits and demerits of the acrylic paints, you must be willing to get them for use now. Well, you should read more reviews of these brands in detail at thereviewgurus.com before you purchase a set of acrylic paint for yourself.
When you are just learning about painting with acrylics, it is very important that you start with learning how to mix your own colors. Once you begin mixing colors, you will come to realize that there are various shades that you won’t be able to buy ready mixed in a tube.
Learning basic color theory will make your painting experience much easier and a lot more enjoyable, as you will become familiar with how colors react with each other, how to produce different effects such as shadows and highlights and how to create different textures and finishes.
The best way to learn how to mix colors is by making your own set of color charts. Use small sheets of cardboard or buy a pad of water color sheets to set up your charts. I know what it’s like being a beginner and just want to start painting, but if you take the time to create your own charts, it will not only teach you the fundamentals of mixing them to be able to get the one you want, but you can then use it as a reference guide for when you are painting.
Making a Color Wheel
Start with creating your own color wheel, beginning with the three primary ones i.e. red, blue, yellow, and then mix these together to produce the secondary and tertiary ones to complete your color wheel.
Once you have created the wheel, you can start experimenting with mixing them from your basic palette of colors. You can set up a different chart for each of the three primary ones i.e. red, yellow and blue.
Making a Color Chart
Next, start mixing the reds with different colors and then dabbing a patch onto your chart until you fill the chart with different color swatches. Make sure to write a note below each swatch: listing what colors you used and how much of each color you mixed. For instance: 1 part cadmium red to 1 part cadmium yellow, 1 part cadmium red to 2 parts cadmium yellow then 1 part cadmium red to 3 parts cadmium yellow and so on. Then repeat this process with other combinations. Try to mix 10 to 20 shades of each one.
Once you have gained some experience with mixing, you will realize that there are some limitations to mixing your own colors. While you can mix a lot more different shades than you can get ready mixed, there are some you aren’t able to create on your own. You will also find that the ready mixed ones are usually a lot brighter than those you mix yourself. If you find you are mixing a lot of a particular color or just can’t mix certain, it is easier to just go out and buy those particular colors from the store. Please, visit this website for further information.