The garage floors are usually paved with a concrete material, and luckily to seal and paint a concrete garage floor is not a difficult task any more. There are special masonry paints can that be used for concrete floors in the garage. For the best results and make it more durable, you should always seal, prime and then paint the concrete garage floor and it is especially true for highly used areas like garage.
You are required to follow the under mentioned steps for sealing and painting your garage floor.
- In the first place, you have to remove all the contents from the floor garage with a vacuum cleaner. You must empty every corner, the area around the garage door and through any sockets if applicable.
- Now mix a bucket of water according to the instructions given by the manufacturer of TSP which is a cleaning solution that will remove any grease, oil or the like accumulation present on the floor. It is important that you do not skip this step; oil on concrete can seep through the paint and will ruin the finished work.
- Apply a concrete or masonry sealant of good quality with a rod roller brush and extension. Most of the sealers are easy to apply and clear liquid, you should go quickly and let dry it completely.
- Now coat the floor of your garage with a concrete primer by using a roller. Although this step may be omitted if the masonry paint has primer built-in, it is still as a good idea to give your garage floor the extra layer of coverage.
- Add texture to the garage floor paint if desired, and paint the garage floor surface thoroughly. Floor texture gives a touch of ‘grain’ and the area will not be slippery when it is wet. When you paint, you should start around the edges and work your way to the open garage door. You are supposed to apply two coats for the best coverage and fine finish.
- Apply a coat of sealer, if desired, using roller for the reason that this will add a layer of protection to the paint if your garage floor especially if it is high traffic.
I recommend you to check this site out in order to get the best products to seal and paint your garage floor so that you can have clean ambiance in your garage as well.
They are known as epoxy paints and are used to paint a type of high resistance to various attacks. These paints are one of the most comprehensive solutions for protecting garage floors and walls when high hygiene, physical and chemical resistance are required.
Epoxy paints are widely used due to their high mechanical strength, resistance against many chemicals, abrasion resistance, rapid entry into service, durability and strength, impermeability, easy maintenance and cleaning, sanitary approval, wear resistance and they have great aesthetics as well.
The epoxy paint comes in two containers as it is composed of a part containing the epoxy resin and on the other hand the catalyst or hardener. Although they have good resistance to weathering, the color of the epoxy paints can reach yellowing or discoloration due to the effect of ultraviolet rays.
The epoxy paint allows thicker layer than other types of paints by hand, giving concrete floors, metal floors, etc. with a total waterproofing and excellent mechanical and chemical resistance, especially when you are making a continuous transit of heavy and light vehicles, transit of pallets, trucks, etc. on them and this is why they are idea for garage floor paint.
Among the numerable varieties of this paint we have epoxy paint for decorative finishes, epoxy paint for basements, parking, for roofs and ceilings, for boats, for concrete, steel, bathtubs and the like.
Epoxy Paint Application
- Because of its high resistance to water, weather and chemical contaminants, people use it as long-term protection of structural steel and concrete.
- Its excellent wear resistance makes it greatly to be used in parking, garages and industrial floors.
- Due to their resistance to chemical attack, it is used for the preservation of industrial facilities.
- Because of its resistance to water and detergents, epoxy paints are used for industrial laundries and other facilities that are subject to frequent aggressive cleaning and disinfection.
Epoxy Paint Application and Prices
For the purposes of applying this paint, it is advised to use brushes or rollers, applying at least two layers for each area. It is flammable, so be careful and have a great security when you are applying it on your own. The price of epoxy paints is between 50 dollars to 250 dollars depending upon you need epoxy paint only or you require other stuff for the application i.e. brushes and rollers. It is an affordable price given the benefits it offers to us.