A mental disorder is indeed a tragic issue that affects an individual and his family members. When a person suffers from it, his or her mental state is at a low ebb. This also puts his family members in a fix on their reaction to such individuals. I have interacted with some families who have depressed individuals amongst them. Most of them felt that the mood of the depressed individual translates to the mood of the home, which could be detrimental to the interests of other family members.
Individuals suffering from mental disorders have no set course or methodology of treatment. The symptoms of a mental health disorder in an individual can be somewhat visible to the naked eye. The individual, in all likelihood, will present a very glum outlook to himself and would come across as an individual with absolutely no positive outlook on events or circumstances. The theory of psychotherapy and counseling help individuals to get rid of the bad effects of mental health disorders. Please note that an individual suffering from mental health disorder has negative effects on him as well as negative effects on the caregiver and the family members.
The best way to understand Psychotherapy and Counseling is to understand their definition. Please note that both are techniques to cure or treat mental health disorders. Psychotherapy is all about utilizing and benefiting from experiential relationships which would allow a person to come out from a mental disorder like depression. Counseling is done by experts in psychology with individuals suffering from mental disorders. The counseling expert talks to the individual to find out his problem areas and, in most cases, suggests ways that the person can counter the disorder.
Here is some more information for you on counseling or Psychotherapy
- Should there be a point when a choice has to be made between choosing psychotherapy and counseling, a person would need to access these facts.
- Counseling or Psychotherapy are two important methods by which individuals suffering from mental disorders due to situations arising to employment issues, relationship, and parenting issues, and others can find the source of treatment for their disorder problem.
- Please, be careful to take treatment from licensed therapists. Not doing so may result in the individual forsaking his financial freedom, and more importantly, the health factor could also be compromised.
- It takes at least 3-6 months for Psychotherapy or a counseling session to achieve its objective. In some cases, this time may go to 1 year. Psychotherapy may not be very effective in treating major mental disorders. That does not deter individuals from choosing counseling or psychotherapy for personal growth, prevention of relapse, and, more importantly, mental support.
- Counseling and Psychotherapy are mandated by State Laws. Under these state laws, the client’s need for confidentiality is protected at all times. Clients are expected to contact their legal experts to tell them about certain situations where it is impossible for the service providers to maintain their confidentiality.
Both counseling and psychotherapy are effective techniques to cure depression and other mental disorders. Being fundamentally different, they treat mental depression with different approaches. It is entirely up to the client to decide on the approach he wishes to take.