Trucking industry is good for good qualified drivers. Particularly now days as trucking industry is facing severe shortage of drivers who are qualified. This is because of the large numbers of baby boomers retiring and less number of younger individuals entering this industry. There are also good jobs with lucrative opportunities available in this industry, but to get them you must have proper credentials, which means applicants must be qualified and well-trained to become truck driver. The qualifications required for truck driver jobs are as follows;
- Individual must be of at least 21 years of age
- He must have a valid CDL or Commercial Driver License
- He must have valid Department Of Transportation Medical Card or Pass D.O.T. Physical Test
- Must pass drug test.
- Have no criminal record
- Have no record of abandoned trucks form previous employer/s.
The best trucking companies have low employee turnover rates, which is a sign that employees are kept satisfied. These companies give more importance to drivers’ safety. A company that values their employees also treat them in a same way. Companies who offer variety of trucing jobs like dry van drivers, flatbed driver jobs, refrigerated van drivers, and the like, they should ensure that its employees are happier with their jobs. Most if not all good trucking companies also offer opportunities for operators/owners who need to run their own trucking business. They recognize how important it is to offer good compensation benefits and packages for employees and they take their pride doing so. Benefits include the following;
- Excellent pay scales
- Sufficient home time
- Steady miles
- Quality and well-maintained trucks and other equipment
- 401(k) plans
- Health insurance
- Paid vacations for recreation
Truck drivers have diverse personalities, so they choose truck driver jobs based on their own needs.
- Some of them take joy traveling coast to coast and be out for several weeks at a time.
- They enjoy the variety and challenges of being in different places and being able to visit various places in the region.
- Some like familiar places and dedicated routes to do the same thing each day.
- Some prefer more home time and chose shorter mileages.
- Some of them pack up their homes and really love to live on the road for a month or more at a time.
- Then there are drivers who don’t have any interest in such a lifestyle.
To answer what type of trucking company to work for, there isn’t any specific answer to that. Every driver is unique in terms of their skills, interest, objectives, and lifestyle and so do companies in terms of challenges, opportunities, employees, and work orientation.